Pronunciation Of Vowel “ə“
Understanding of Pronunciation of Vowel, Pronunciation of Consonants & Pronunciation of Diphthong is very important for being healthy in English, especially in English Speaking. Wrong pronunciation can change the meaning of a sentence or situation for which the particular word is used. Generally, beginner of any language crams Vocabulary but without clear and right pronunciation or wrong pronunciation, meaning or sense of the sentence can differ for other people. That’s why pronunciation plays a major role in language learning.
In this American English pronunciation Article section, we’re going to learn how to pronounce the ə=schwa=uh vowel sound.
This vowel is always unstressed.
- The mouth position is a lot like the ʌ=uh as in BUTTER vowel,
- But that ʌ=uh vowel can be and usually is stressed.
- But just like that vowel, everything in your lips, jaw, and neck should be relaxed for this sound.
- Just slightly drop your jaw to make this sound, ə=uh.
- The trick is to keep everything else relaxed, ə=uh.
- Let’s feel the vowel up close and in slow motion, ə=uh.
- It’s possible to make this sound on its own with just the slightest jaw drop.
- But in actual words, you will likely feel a bit more jaw drop, ə=uh.
- Like here, on the word ‘sofa=[‘soʊ fə]’.
- Lips relaxed, cheeks relaxed, tongue forward and relaxed.
- As I wrote, this vowel can only be in an unstressed syllable.
- All other vowel and diphthong sounds can either be stressed or unstressed.
- So the ə=schwa will always be really fast and low in pitch. Ə=uh, ə=uh. Sofa, ə=uh. Ability, ə=uh.
- The ə=schwa goes with the syllabic consonants L, M, N, and R.
- That means when you have a syllable with a ə=schwa followed by one of these consonants, you don’t need to make the ə=schwa.
- It gets absorbed by the next sound.
- For example, the word ‘father=[‘fɑð əɹ]’: əɹ=th-rr, əɹ=th-rr.
- Just go from the TH sound right into the R sound without trying to make a separate ə=schwa. Father, ðəɹ=ther.
- The ə=schwa: always unstressed. Ə=uh, sofa, ə=uh=[‘soʊ fə], ə=uh, ability=[ə’bɪl ɪ di], ə=uh.
Hope this Article section helps you understand this sound.
You can also read these articles;-