Pronunciation Of Vowel “ɪ“
Understanding of Pronunciation of Vowel, Pronunciation of Consonants & Pronunciation of Diphthong is very important for being healthy in English, especially in English Speaking. Wrong pronunciation can change the meaning of a sentence or situation for which the particular word is used. Generally, beginner of any language crams Vocabulary but without clear and right pronunciation or wrong pronunciation, meaning or sense of the sentence can differ for other people. That’s why pronunciation plays a major role in language learning.
In this American English pronunciation Article section, we’re going to go over how to pronounce the ɪ=ih (like eh sound) as in sit vowel.
This vowel can be a challenge for non-native speakers.
The tendency is to replace it with the i=ee vowel.
But for the ɪ=ih vowel, the jaw drops more, so the tongue isn’t as close to the roof of the mouth.
Let’s study the mouth position.
- There’s a relaxed jaw drop.
- The tip of the tongue stays forward, lightly touching the back of the bottom front teeth.
- The top, front part of the tongue arches up towards the roof of the mouth.
- Let’s feel this vowel up close and in slow motion.
- Relaxed jaw drop. Tongue tip forward.
- The Top, the front part of the tongue arches up towards the roof of the mouth.
- This vowel is stressed in the word ‘fix=[fɪks]’.
- Same mouth position.
- When this vowel is in a stressed word or syllable, like ‘fix’, it has an up-down shape, ɪ=ih, fix, ɪ=ih.
- When it’s in an unstressed syllable, it will be flatter and lower in pitch, quieter: ɪ=ih, ɪ=ih.
- It’s unstressed in the word ‘office=[‘ɔ fɪs]’, ɪ=ih.
- Let’s take a look. The mouth position is the same, but a little more relaxed.
- Let’s compare the stressed ɪ=ih in ‘fix’, to the unstressed ɪ=ih in ‘office’.
- Notice that the jaw is more dropped for the stressed syllable.
- For the unstressed ɪ=ih, the jaw is less dropped.
- This is typical.
- Unstressed vowels are shorter, so there isn’t as much time to make the full mouth position.
- Stressed ɪ=ih: fix, ɪ=ih
- Unstressed ɪ=ih: office,
Hope this Article section helps you understand this sound.
You can also read these articles;-