Pronunciation Of Vowel “ɑ“
Understanding of Pronunciation of Vowel, Pronunciation of Consonants & Pronunciation of Diphthong is very important for being healthy in English, especially in English Speaking. Wrong pronunciation can change the meaning of a sentence or situation for which the particular word is used. Generally, beginner of any language crams Vocabulary but without clear and right pronunciation or wrong pronunciation, meaning or sense of the sentence can differ for other people. That’s why pronunciation plays a major role in language learning.
In this American English pronunciation article section, we’re going to learn how to pronounce the ɑ=ah as in the father vowel.
This vowel needs a lot of jaw drop, ɑ=ah.
- The tongue tip lightly touches behind the bottom front teeth, and the back part of the tongue presses down a little bit. ɑ=ah.
- The lips are neutral, very relaxed. ɑ=ah.
- Because the tongue presses down in the back, you can feel further into the dark space in the mouth.
- Let’s feel that by understanding this vowel up close and in slow motion.
- The lips are relaxed, and the tongue is lowered in the back [ɑ=ah].
- The inside of the mouth is dark.
- Like the word ‘job=[dʒɑb]’.
- The jaw drops, and the tongue presses down in the back. ɑ=ah.
- When this vowel is in a stressed syllable, the voice will go up and come down in pitch, ɑ=ah, (speak in slow speed), job, ɑ=ah.
- When it’s in an unstressed syllable, it won’t be as long, and it won’t have the up-down shape of the voice, ɑ=ah, ɑ=ah (speak quickly).
- For example, in the word ‘blockade=[blɑ’keɪd]’, ɑ=ah, ɑ=ah, blockade.
- The mouth position looks the same: jaw drop, relaxed lips, and tongue pressed slightly down in the back, ‘blockade=[blɑ’keɪd].
- But because the pitch is flatter and the syllable is quicker, it sounds unstressed. ɑ=ah, ɑ=ah.
- Stressed ɑ=ah: job, ɑ=ah.
- Unstressed ɑ=ah: blockade,
Occupation=[,ak jə’ peɪ ʃən],
Hope this Article section helps you understand this sound.
You can also read these articles;-